ScottDate: 15 June 2020 - 19 Sept 2022
Let's go back to a time, a time when we were all in lock down during COVID and had no idea when things would start opening back up, go into the office, or be around other humans again. Many of us decided to take up new things, try gourmet cooking at home, learn to play guitar, juggle, toliet paper alternatives; just remember when... I decided to learn how to MIG-Weld Aluminum and build a top for my Cobra. The number of times I had been caught in the rain was now well into double digits and I was tired of being completely soaked while out on the road. For those of you who know aerodynamics (which I don't), while driving the Cobra in the rain, as long as I was going over 30 MPH, you really don't get wet as the rain will be diverted over the car, unless it's that fat rain and then you're just in plain trouble no matter what (ask me how I know).
I decided to get creative and build my own after seeing what was out there. I even saw someone who strapped on a large style metal serving tray over the windshield and roll bars, well I was going for something more stylish.
I started this effort in June of 2020, while we all needed something to do at home. I was able to source most of my raw materials from McMasterCarr online and started the creative juices going. I saw how real manufacturers would create a whole new bow that matches up with the windshield top, so that was my starting point there. Then I decided to create a similar bow for the rear of top that would mount to the roll bars (good thing I have driver and passenger side roll bars, but I have a way this would work for only driver side roll bar).
The final initial prototype came out pretty well. I did a test drive and got up to 80 mph and it didn't fall off or break my windshield, so I was happy. I already have plans to make a second one now that I have learned so much and knowing I need to use 4 mm fiberglass rods instead of 5mm (which were too stiff and is the reason why the top comes off kind of funny from the windshield. In all it's a success! Plus now I know how to Mig weld Al. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment