ScottDate: 3 October 2022
I left the Durango area and hightailed it out toward Marble Canyon. This is the canyon downstream from Lake Powell for the CO river. My plan was to stay at the Lee's Ferry Campground which has 54 first come first serve camp sites. This was one of the biggest gambles I had on where to stay for the evening as I really didn't have a backup plan. Plus, Lee's Ferry is pretty much, literally, in the middle of nowhere and I have no idea how far I would have to drive to find another camp site. Luckily, I got there early enough in the afternoon to snag this great site! Mom thought I was camping in an Minion Tent, but it's just a yellow tent. :)
I had a great view of the canyon as my morning wake up view, plus the weather was really cooperating! Low 80's during the day and only the 60's at night. I was able to go for a 10 mile bike ride as the 5 mile road in was basically a ghost town, so very little traffic plus wide open views so hopefully I would not get hit. Big problem were the birds. I went to the bathroom and when I came back, there were ravens everyone on my sight trying to get into my food tote, they had to settle for the trash bag, which was now everywhere.
I hiked up Spencer's Trail, which gains about 1600ft in 2.2 miles. Good training for my Grand Canyon hike that is upcoming in a few days. It was really need to see the trail that was carved out of the rock just so a mule train could bring coal over the pass to power the steam engine for the Ferry across the CO River (it was run by someone named Lee). While at the top, of course I enjoyed my cheese-n-cracker snack. That never fails to satisfy. I took this opportunity to make some phone calls as I had really great phone reception and was even able to facetime with Mom so she could see this area.
I was lucky enough to be able to shower the next morning, as I was feeling pretty grimy after a bike ride and hike on days back to back. Apparently prices have gone up as it was $2 for about 5 minutes (I got 8 minutes 25 years ago!!) Next Stop...the Grand...CANYON!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment