Monday, October 29, 2007

The Four, the Crazy, and the Bad...




Today I woke up in Rapid City, SD and started off with the first decent night sleep I've had in a bit. Little did I know that the day was going to bring some interesting events.

My first stop was Mt. Rushmore. Upon my arrival, I was immediately asked to take a picture of this very nice east Indian family. My initial response was, "I believe I already have." It turns out this was the exact same family who asked me to take a picture of them in front of Devil's Tower yesterday, at least I knew how to work his camera! Mt. Rushmore is very neat and you really get to learn a lot about the four presidents which are depicted. It was ironic to learn that Abraham Lincoln had no formal education but worked as a lawyer, seems some things haven't changed much today.

I then moved on to see how Crazy Horse Mountain was coming along. Apparently Kiolzowski (and now family) have been working on the sculpture for just shy of 60 years now. It is an impressive sight and I hope it will be finished in my lifetime.
South Dakota really needs to work on their highway systems in that area. In order to keep heading east from Crazy Horse Mountain, you have to drive back to Rapid City. So after 80 miles and 6 hours, I am right back to where I started in the morning. Geeeshhh.

I rounded out the day by driving through The Badlands Nat. Park (3rd NP on the trip). Totally cool and I wish I had all day to just sit and take it in. I had to settle for only an hour and half though. Maybe on the next trip, fer-sure.

Tomorrow its off to Minneapolis and some golf. The weather has been too good to just sit in a car doing nothing but trying to find a decent radio station. 1800 miles down and about 900 more to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I object to the lawyer comment. Though law school does not actually teach you to be a lawyer...