Sunday, March 29, 2015

Boy, isn't that Dash-ing

ScottDate: Dec 2014-Feb 2015

So many people have been bugging me to update the blog on the status of the Cobra build (well actually only Jeff Duce) that I have decided to inform everyone on what I have been doing, which is nothing short of idle. The big news was of course getting the cobra up and running this past May, and since we had such beautiful summer and fall weather in St. Louis, decided to enjoy driving my 69 mustang convertible more than working on the Cobra. Actually, I believe I put over 3452 miles (or so) on my mustang this summer (see image below, ain't it sweet!). It is so much fun to drive and with temperatures in the 80's, it too temping to just let it sit there while working on the Cobra.

Getting back to the Cobra build, that takes us back to X-mas break. I started digging into finishing out the wiring of the dash to the car. You may ask, Scott, how did you start the car and get it running without and dash instruments? Easy I say, I just hotwired the car, which is easy (...yes I know how to hot wire a car). So I wanted to clean up the installation, get the wiring all nice and get all of the gauges working. Not to mention, turn signals, hazard flashers, interior lighting, fan relays, and oh yeah, high/low beam headlights. This a took considerable amount of time, energy, wiring, electrical tape, soldering, and I only had to redo the dash wiring 2.5X. Not bad, most of the people on the Cobra forum say they usually re-wire the dash 3 times. But of course, I still have time, the car isn't finished yet. This is what I was starting with, sort of...
and then I got it to look like this...Yes, this is the better looking wiring behind the dash (minus the plastic wire loom.
This is the back side of the dash, after I cleaned it up a bit.
Back side of dash
This took approximately 2.5 months of working most of the evenings and weekends. Talk about fun times. I am very glad this portion of the build is behind me as there were two parts of the build that I was dreading: wiring and body work. (Guess what I have to do next!)
















No comments: