Saturday, April 27, 2013

Its Engine TIME!!!

ScottDate: November 25, 2012.

I had been waiting and waiting to put the engine and transmission in the car, mainly because once the engine is in, I know that something will pop up that will be a major pain in the a$$ to install. And if the engine were not in the way, it would be a piece of cake (aka, easy)! I did my best to think of everything to install and I think I did ok! (actually, there were some modifications that I needed to do, which totally blows this outta the water, but that will be state in another post!)

Due to having shoulder surgery only 6 weeks prior, I did not have much of the needed strength to perform a lot of the required "heavy lifting," so I asked a good co-worker to help me. We will call him....Mike. Pretty much because his name is Mike. You can see Mike below getting the transmission ready to attach to the engine.

Everything went really, really smoothly! Except for...yes one thing. We could not get the old pinion bearing out of the crank. After searching online, using tricks of the trade advice, a couple of voodoo dances,...we did what any good guys would do. We completely destroyed that thing, which took two hours!

We got the new pinion bearing in and away we went! Luckily, I don't have the fiberglass body (shell) on the chassis of the car, so it was very comforting to know that I would not damage any of the shell. We bolted the transmission to the engine block and in she went. No problem.

Well the only problem now is that I have a lot of trouble moving the car around in the garage not that is about 600 lbs heavier!

You would think that getting the engine and transmission in the car would mean that I am almost done! If you have ever worked on a car project like this, well, I'm not even close! :) But where would be the fun in finishing this so quickly! Hmmmm...driving fast in a roadster...yeah there is fun in finishing quickly!

No comments: